Streetlife China / [edited by] Michael Dutton
- Cambridge, UK ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 304 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Dutton, Michael Robert
- Cambridge modern China series
- Timeline on Chinese History Streetlife Subalterns Pt. I. Rights, Traditions, Daily Life and Deviance. 1. Rights and Traditions. Human Rights and Chinese Tradition / Xia Yong. The Traditional Chinese View of the Cosmos and the Practices of Daily Life / Li Yiyuan. The Gift of Self. The 'Gift' and the Confucian Notion of Propriety / Li Xu Ping. 2. Daily Life in the Work Unit. People of the Work Unit / He Xinghan. The Work Unit: A Unique Form of Social Organisation / Lu Feng. The Work Unit: 'Face' and Place / Yi Zhongtian. 3. Defining 'Outsiders', Labelling Liumang. To be Defined a Liumang / Chen Baoliang. Second class Citizen / Ge Fei. Homosexuals in Beijing / Jin Ren Pt. II. The 'Strategies' of Government and 'Tactics' of the Subaltern. 1. Analysis. Household Registration and the Caste like Quality of Peasant Life / Gong Xikui. From Caste to Class: A Brief Introduction to A Third Eye. A Third Eye on China's Living Volcano / Leuninger. Peasant Movement: A Police Perspective / Yang Wenzhong and Wang Gongfan. 2. Government Strategies (1). The Resident Identity Card and the Household Register / Zhang Qingwu. Registration Files, Registration Cards / Yu Lei. Beijing's Fee for Residency Scheme. User Pays Beijing / Zhou Daping. The 'Bill' of Beef Street. Mass line Policing: Weikeng Public Security Committee, Beijing / Feng Rui. 3. Government Strategies (2). The Special Professions / Yu Lei. The Special Population / Yu Lei. Beggars, Prostitutes and Undesirables: The Internal Rules of the State. Transient Beggars in the City. Prostitution. Female Education and Fostering Centre. 4. Subaltern Tactics, Government Response. Nursing Change. Beijing Baomu: Taking Beijing People's Money and Doing Beijingers' work / $
- 0521631416 (alk. paper)
9780521631419 (alk. paper)
0521637198 (pbk. : alk. paper)
9780521637190 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Collection of articles by various Chinese writers about the life in contemporary China.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 285-289) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- UP-PAT copy: Purchased with funds from the Barbara S. Klein Libraries Collection Endowment in Art History and Asian Studies; 20034.
View MARC record | catkey: 1875100