Anthony R. D'Augelli collection on lesbian, gay and bisexual activism
- D'Augelli, Anthony R.
- Physical Description:
- 1 linear ft.
Special Collections Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- This collection is open for access.
- Contains materials related to lesbian, gay and bisexual activism collected by Anthony R. D'Augelli. The materials were collected through D'Augelli's research of and work with the student organizations Homophiles of Penn State (HOPS) and Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual Student Alliance (LGBSA) as well as the Committee on Gay and Bisexual Equity. This collection includes information about homophobia and discrimination at Penn State, including the Joseph Acanfora and Anthony (Tony) Carozza lawsuits, development of domestic partnership benefits, Homophiles of Penn State (HOPS) student organization charter suspension, and activism to include sexual orientation in Penn State's non-discrimination statement. Materials include newspaper clippings, correspondence, flyers, reports, correspondence, and other materials.
- This material was compiled by Anthony Raymond D'Augelli in his capacity as Penn State faculty member and LGBTQ+ advocate.
- Preferred Citation:
- Anthony R. D'Augelli collection on lesbian, gay and bisexual activism, #09796, Special Collections Library, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA.
- Photocopies of original materials may be made available for research purposes at the discretion of the Eberly Family Special Collections Library. Photocopies or reproductions of original materials may be subject to fees as outlined by the Pennsylvania State University Libraries reproduction policies. Copyright is retained by the creators of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Patrons seeking advice on the availability of unpublished materials for publication should consult relevant copyright law and laws of libel.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Gift of Anthony D'Augelli; 2016.
- Administrative History:
- Anthony Raymond D'Augelli is Professor of Human Development and Family Studies, at Pennsylvania State University. D'Augelli's research focuses on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Queer/Questioning (LGBTQ) people, their families, and communities. D'Augelli earned his Bachelors in Psychology/Social Sciences from Hofstra University (1968), as well as his Masters and PhD in Clinical/Community Psychology at the University of Connecticut at Storrs (1970 and 1972). D'Augelli worked alongside campus committees and student organizations whose focus was raising awareness of and establishing equity for LGBTQ students and faculty. Homophiles of Penn State (HOPS) was a Penn State student organization formed in 1971 to provide social support for LGBTQ students and advocate for the LGBTQ community. Its student organization charter was revoked in 1971 and HOPS was not recognized as an off-campus student organization until 1973. HOPS disolved by the end of the 1970s. Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Student Alliance (LGBSA) was formed in the 1980s to unite LGBTQ students, parents, and allies. It changed its name to Lambda Student Alliance in 1998 and was superceded by the group Speak Out in 2006. The Committee on Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Equity was formed in 1991 to "addess issues of homophobia and heterosexism within the university community by working in the areas of education, curricular integration, and policy analysis." It is superceded by the Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Equity (CLGBTQE).
View MARC record | catkey: 18897249