Dancing boys : high school males in dance / Zihao Li.
- Li, Zihao, 1975-
- Toronto ; Buffalo ; London : University of Toronto Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 179 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- I am a dancer -- Boys in dance -- Where are the dancing boys? -- The voices of the dancing boys -- Transformation -- Invisible barriers -- Dance experience and dance class -- Show time -- Dancing through our lives.
- "The challenges that young women go through in order to be successful in the world of dance are well known. However, little is known about the challenges that young men go through in order to pursue these same dreams. Dancing Boys is one of the few scholarly works that demystify the largely unknown challenges of adolescent males in dance. Through an ethnographic study of sixty-two adolescent male students, Zihao Li captures the authentic stories and experiences of boys participating in dance classes in a public high school in Toronto. The study follows the journey of these students from having no prior experience in dance to entering well-known art schools and professional dance companies. Unlike traditional publications readers will be able to read, watch, hear and feel the trials and successes of adolescent males in dance."--
- Male dancers—Ontario—Toronto—Case studies
- High school boys—Ontario—Toronto—Case studies
- Gender identity in dance—Ontario—Toronto—Case studies
- Dance—Social aspects—Ontario—Toronto—Case studies
- Danseurs masculins—Ontario—Toronto—Études de cas
- Adolescents du secondaire—Ontario—Toronto—Études de cas
- Identité sexuelle dans la danse—Ontario—Toronto—Études de cas
- Danse—Aspect social—Ontario—Toronto—Études de cas
- Dance—Social aspects
- Gender identity in dance
- High school boys
- Male dancers
- 9781442648678 (cloth)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 165-173) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 18897422