And the pursuit of happiness / Maira Kalman
- Kalman, Maira
- Additional Titles:
- Pursuit of happiness
- New York : Penguin Books, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 471 pages : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 24 cm
- January : The inauguration. At last -- February: In love with A. Lincoln -- March : So moved -- April : May it please the Court -- May : At ease -- June : Time wastes too fast -- July : Can do -- August : "I lift my lamp beside the golden door" -- September : For goodness' sake -- October : E. pluribus unum -- November : Back to the land -- December : By George [Washington].
- Filled with original art and photographs by the author who is also an illustrator and designer, each chapter represents a month of Kalman's yearlong travel across the U.S. and her reflections on democracy. She starts with a celebration of Barack Obama's Presidential inauguration in Washington, D.C., continues with the month of February and Abraham Lincoln, and explores democracy and the pursuit of happiness artistically and poetically. Several presidents and political sites in Washington, D.C. are focal points as the year progresses.
- 9780143122036 (pbk.)
- Related Titles:
- New York Times Company
- "Most of the contents of this book first appeared as the author's online column 'And the pursuit of happiness' on the website of The New York times"--Title page verso.
View MARC record | catkey: 19157636