The enchanted island / George Frideric Handel
- [New York, New York] : [Metropolitan Opera], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 sound file (2 hr., 37 min., 10 sec.))
- Additional Creators:
- De Niese, Danielle
Graham, Susan, 1960-
Daniels, David, 1966-
Domingo, Plácido, 1941-
Pisaroni, Luca, 1975-
Handel, George Frideric, 1685-1759. Selections
Vivaldi, Antonio, 1678-1741. Selections
Rameau, Jean-Philippe, 1683-1764. Selections
Campra, André, 1660-1744. Selections
Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.)
- Language Note:
- Sung in English.
- Overture -- My Ariel -- Ah, if you would earn your freedom -- My master, generous master -- I can conjure you fire from the heavens -- --then what I desire should be simple -- There are times when the dark side of the island -- Maybe soon. Maybe now -- The blood of a lizard -- Stolen by treachery -- Miranda, my Miranda! -- I have no words for this feeling -- My master's books -- Take salt and stones for waves -- Days of pleasure, nights of love -- The storm -- I've done as you commanded -- Oh, Helena, my Helen -- You would have loved this island -- Would that it could last forever -- Wonderful, wonderful brave new emotion -- Why am I living? -- With this now I can start again -- Once, once at my command -- Mother, why, not? Why not Miranda? -- Mother, my blood is freezing -- Help me out of this nightmare -- Beautiful -- Wonderful -- All I've done is try to help you -- Curse you, Neptune -- Your bride, sir? -- Away, away! You loathsome wretch, away! -- Two castaways but neither is this "Ferdinand" -- Arise! Arise, great Neptune -- This is convulvulus -- If the air should hum with noises -- Neptune the great -- Who dares to call me? -- My ocean -- Gone forever, my perfect sea -- I'm no mortal, I'm a spirit -- I'd forgotten that I was lord of the ocean! -- My God, what's this? -- Where are you now? -- So sweet, talking together -- Now it's returning, my former glory -- Have you seen a young lady? -- A voice, a face, a figure half remembered -- His name, she spoke his name -- The rage -- I try to shape my destiny -- Chaos, confusion -- Oh, my darling, my sister -- Men are fickle -- I knew the spell was imperfect -- Hearts that love can all be broken -- Such meagre consolation -- No, I'll have no consolation -- Wealth and love can be thine -- Parade -- The women and the unicorn -- The animals -- The Freaks-- Chaos -- Waking -- With no sail and no rudder -- Gliding onwards -- Follow hither, thither, follow me -- Sleep now -- Darling, it's you at last -- The wat'ry god has heard the island's pleas -- Sir, honored sir -- I have dreamed you -- The time has come -- Enough! How dare you? -- Tyrant! Merely a petty tyrant -- To stray is mortal -- Forgive me. Please forgive me -- We gods who watch the ways of man -- Earth below communes with heav'n above -- Earth below communes with heav'n above -- This, my hope for the future -- Can you feel the heavens are reeling? -- Now a bright new day is dawning.
- The Met's world-premiere Baroque fantasy, first seen in 2011, brings together some of the greatest arias and ensembles of Handel, Vivaldi, Rameau, and other composers with a new English libretto by Jeremy Sams, inspired by Shakespeare's The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream. David Daniels as the magician Prospero, Susan Graham as the sorceress Sycorax, and Plácido Domingo as Neptune, God of the Sea, lead the starry ensemble cast that also includes Luca Pisaroni as Caliban and Danielle de Niese as Ariel. Patrick Summers conducts.
- Sound Characteristics:
- Digital File Characteristics:
- audio file streaming audio file
- Form of work:
- Duration: 2 hr., 37 min., 10 sec.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Danielle de Niese, Susan Graham, David Daniels, Plácido Domingo, Luca Pisaroni ; Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus ; Patrick Summers, conductor.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded live 2014 Metropolitan Opera, New York, New York.
View MARC record | catkey: 19159471