Death in Venice / Benjamin Britten
- Britten, Benjamin, 1913-1976
- [New York, New York] : [Metropolitan Opera], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 sound file (2 hr., 22 min., 16 sec.))
- Additional Creators:
- Rolfe Johnson, Anthony
Allen, Thomas, 1944-
Atherton, David, 1944-
Metropolitan Opera (New York, N.Y.)
- Language Note:
- Sung in English.
- My mind beats on -- Who's that? -- Hey there, hey there, you! -- Overture: Venice -- Ah Serenissima! -- We are delighted to greet the Signore -- So I am led to Venice once again -- The Lido is so charming, is it not? -- The wind is from the West -- Le belle fragole -- Adziù, Adziù! -- As one who strives to create beauty -- "Aou'! Stangado, aou'!" -- Naturally, Signore, I understand -- A thousand apologies to the Signore -- Beneath a dazzling sky the sea -- First the race! -- The boy, Tadzio, shall inspire me -- So, it has come to this -- Buon giorno, Signore! -- Do I detect a scent? -- And now I cannot let them out of sight -- "Kyrie eleison" -- Gustav von Aschenbach, what is this path you have taken? -- This way for the players, Signori! -- La mia nonna always used to tell me -- Ah, little Tadziù, Tadziù, we do not laugh like the others -- One moment, if you please -- So it is true, true, more fearful than I thought -- Receive the stranger god -- Do what you will with me! -- Yes, a very wise decision, if I may say so -- Hurrah for the Piazza -- Does beauty lead to wisdom, Phaedrus? -- The wind still blows from the land -- Ah no!
- Benjamin Britten's poignant setting of Thomas Mann's novella is beautifully realized by the authoritative conducting of David Atherton and a distinguished cast. Tenor Anthony Rolfe Johnson delivers a searing portrayal in the central role of Gustav von Aschenbach, a novelist on vacation in Venice who falls in love with the beauty of a Polish boy, Tadzio, whom he sees playing on the beach with his friends. Baritone Thomas Allen is gripping in his performance in of the seven roles of Achenbach's nemeses, tempting him, step by step, to his predestined doom.
- Sound Characteristics:
- Digital File Characteristics:
- audio file streaming audio file
- Form of work:
- Duration: 2 hr., 22 min., 16 sec.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Anthony Rolfe Johnson, Thomas Allen ; Metropolitan Opera Orchestra and Chorus ; David Atherton, conductor.
- Data/Place of Event:
- Recorded live 1994 Metropolitan Opera, New York, New York.
View MARC record | catkey: 19159474