Islamic and Jewish legal reasoning : encountering our legal other / edited by Anver M. Emon
- Additional Titles:
- Islamic & Jewish legal reasoning
- London, England : Oneworld Publications, 2016.
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 273 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Emon, Anver M.
- Islamic and Jewish legal reasoning : beginnings / Anver M. Emon and Robert Gibbs -- Assuming power : judges, imagined authority, and the quotidian / Rumee Ahmed and Aryeh Cohen -- Guardianship of women in Islamic and Jewish legal texts / Rachel Adler and Ayesha S. Chaudhry -- Cowering calf and the thirsty dog : narrating and legislating kindness to animals in Jewish and Islamic texts / Beth Berkowitz and Marion Katz -- Policing women : virginity checkers and the sotah ordeal as sites of women's agency / Ayesha S. Chaudhry and Shari Goldberg -- Sovereignty, law, and the pedagogy of historical fantasy : on the halakha on the laws of war and the fiqh on dhimmis / Arye Edrei and Anver M. Emon -- Cross-textual reflections on tradition, reason, and authority / Adam B. Seligman -- Social life of reason / Robert Gibbs.
- 9781780748801 and 1780748809
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19169409