Difficult women / Roxane Gay
- Gay, Roxane
- Uniform Title:
- Short stories. Selections
- New York : Grove Press, 2017.
- Copyright Date:
- First Grove Atlantic hardcover edition.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 260 pages ; 22 cm
- I will follow you -- Water, all its weight -- The mark of Cain -- Difficult women -- FLORIDA -- La negra blanca -- Baby arm -- North country -- How -- Requiem for a glass heart -- In the event of my father's death -- Break all the way down -- Bad priest -- Open marriage -- A pat -- Best features -- Bone density -- I am a knife -- The sacrifice of darkness -- Noble things -- Strange gods.
- "Award-winning author and powerhouse talent Roxane Gay burst onto the scene with An Untamed State and the New York Times bestselling essay collection Bad Feminist (Harper Perennial). Gay returns with Difficult Women, a collection of stories of rare force and beauty, of hardscrabble lives, passionate loves, and quirky and vexed human connection. The women in these stories live lives of privilege and of poverty, are in marriages both loving and haunted by past crimes or emotional blackmail. A pair of sisters, grown now, have been inseparable ever since they were abducted together as children, and must negotiate the elder sister's marriage. A woman married to a twin pretends not to realize when her husband and his brother impersonate each other. A stripper putting herself through college fends off the advances of an overzealous customer. A black engineer moves to Upper Michigan for a job and faces the malign curiosity of her colleagues and the difficulty of leaving her past behind. From a girls' fight club to a wealthy subdivision in Florida where neighbors conform, compete, and spy on each other, Gay delivers a wry, beautiful, haunting vision of modern America reminiscent of Merritt Tierce, Jamie Quatro, and Miranda July"--
- 9780802125392 hardcover
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2016
View MARC record | catkey: 19174209