Wild women and tricky ladies : rodeo cowgirls, trick riders, and other performing women who made the West wilder / Jill Charlotte Stanford
- Stanford, Jill Charlotte
- Additional Titles:
- Wild women & tricky ladies
- Guilford, Conn. : TwoDot, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 97 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm
- A short gallop around the arena: Trick riding explained -- A saddle for champions -- Gene Creed: Tricks and broncs and overalls -- The golden age of wild women and tricky ladies -- Prairie Rose Henderson: Fearless and flashy -- Tillie Baldwin: Bravado in bloomers -- Bertha Kaepernik Blancett: Champion lady rider of the world -- Fox Hastings: Always smiling for the cheering crowd -- Florence Hughes Randolph: A cowgirl who did it all! -- Tad Lucas and Mitzi Lucas Riley: A mother-daughter team -- Florence La Due: Champion lady fancy roper of the world -- Tales from the arena -- Arlene Lamar: From Kansas to Hollywood -- Ruth M. Davis: A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do -- Madonna Eskew Pumphrey: A true rodeo "queen" -- Elaine Kramer: To ride a white horse -- Trick riding today: Galloping into the twenty-first century -- Jan Mendoza: Doing and teaching the tricks -- Mary Rivers: Always an overachiever -- Erin Mullis: The kamikaze kowgirl -- Riata Ranch: "America's ridin' and ropin' royalty of the West" -- Glossary of trick riding terms -- Where cowgirls go to shop the web -- Rodeos and fairs where trick riding can be seen.
- For all girls who have ever wanted a pony, this book shares the stories and vintage photographs of women "fancy riders" who have participated in Wild West shows and rodeos since the early 1900s. Stanford includes a glossary of trick-riding terms, websites "where cowgirls go to shop," a list of rodeos and fairs in North America, and suggested further reading.
- 9780762758708 (pbk.)
- Ronald A. Smith Sports History Book Collection.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (page 92) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19179295