The view from the ground [electronic resource] : experiences of Civil War soldiers / edited by Aaron Sheehan-Dean ; with an afterword by Joseph T. Glatthaar
- Lexington, Ky. : University Press of Kentucky, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 266 p. ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Sheehan-Dean, Aaron Charles
- New directions in southern history
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The blue and the gray in black and white : assessing the scholarship on Civil War soldiers / Aaron Sheehan-Dean -- A "vexed question" : white Union soldiers on slavery and race / Chandra Manning -- A brother's war : exploring Confederate perceptions of the enemy / Jason Phillips -- "The army is not near so much demoralized as the country is" : soldiers in the Army of Northern Virginia and the Confederate home front / Lisa Laskin -- "No nearer heaven now but rather farther off" : the religious compromises and conflicts of northern soldiers / David W. Rolfs -- "Strangers in a strange land" : Christian soldiers in the early months of the Civil War / Kent T. Dollar -- "A viler enemy in our rear" : Pennsylvania soldiers confront the North's antiwar movement / Timothy J. Orr -- Popular sovereignty in the Confederate Army : the case of Colonel John Marshall and the Fourth Texas Infantry Regiment / Charles E. Brooks -- "Is not the glory enough to give us all a share?" : an analysis of competing memories of the Battle of the Crater / Kevin M. Levin.
- United States. Army—History—Civil War, 1861-1865
- Confederate States of America. Army—History
- United States. Army—Military life—History—19th century
- Confederate States of America. Army—Military life
- Soldiers—United States—History—19th century
- Soldiers—Confederate States of America—History
- Soldiers—United States—Social conditions—19th century
- Soldiers—Confederate States of America—Social conditions
- United States—History—Civil War, 1861-1865—Social aspects
- 0813124131 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Include bibliographical references (p. 255-259) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19186809