War and nationalism [electronic resource] : the Balkan wars, 1912-1913, and their sociopolitical implications / edited by M. Hakan Yavuz and Isa Blumi ; foreword by Edward J. Erickson
- Salt Lake City : The University of Utah Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xxxix, 884 pages : maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Yavuz, M. Hakan and Blumi, Isa, 1969-
- Utah series in Middle East studies
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Foreword : lessons learned from the Balkan wars / Edward J. Erickson -- Prologue : the rise of Balkan nationalism within the triangle of the Ottoman, Austrian, and Russian empires, 1800-1878 / Peter von Sivers -- Introduction : lasting consequences of the Balkan wars (1912-1913) / Isa Blumi and M. Hakan Yavuz -- Warfare and nationalism : the Balkan wars as a catalyst of homogenization / M. Hakan Yavuz -- Bulgaria and the origins of the Balkan wars, 1912-1913 / Richard C. Hall -- The Young Turk policy in Macedonia : cause of the Balkan wars? / Mehmet Hacısalihoğlu -- Rebels with a cause : Armenian-Macedonian relations and their Bulgarian connection, 1895-1913 / Garabet K. Moumdjian -- The origins of the Balkan wars : a reinterpretation / Gül Tokay -- A micro-historical experience in the late Ottoman Balkans : the case of Austria-Hungary in Sanjak Novi Pazar (1879-1908) / Tamara Scheer -- The Balkan wars in the Italian perspective / Francesco Caccamo -- Armies defeated before they took the field? : the Ottoman mobilization of October 1912 / Feroze Yasamee -- Epidemic diseases on the Thracian front of the Ottoman Empire during the Balkan wars / Oya Dağlar Macar -- Fighting on two fronts : the Balkan wars and the struggle for women's rights in Ottoman Turkey / Serpil Atamaz -- Pomak Christianization (Pokrastvane) in Bulgaria during the Balkan wars of 1912-1913 / Fatme Myuhtar-May -- Bulgaria's policy toward Muslims during the Balkan wars / Neriman Ersoy-Hacısalihoğlu -- The aggressiveness of Bosnian and Herzegovinian Serbs in the public discourse during the Balkan wars / Amir Duranović -- Paramilitaries in the Balkan wars : the case of Macedonian Adrianople volunteers / Tetsuya Sahara -- Between Cross and Crescent : British diplomacy and press opinion toward the Ottoman empire in resolving the Balkan wars, 1912-1913 / Pamela J. Dorn Sezgin -- Perceiving the Balkan wars : western and Ottoman commentaries on the 1914 Carnegie Endowment's Balkan wars inquiry / Patrick J. Adamiak -- Whose is the house of greatest disorder? : civilization and savagery on the early twentieth-century Eastern European and North American frontiers / Jonathan Schmitt -- Impacts of the Balkan wars : the uncharted paths from empire to nation-state / Isa Blumi -- Ottoman disintegration in the Balkans and its repercussions / Sevtap Demirci -- "And the awakening came in the wake of the Balkan war" : the changing conceptualization of the body in late Ottoman society / Melis Hafez -- Making sense of the defeat in the Balkan wars : voices from the Arab provinces / Eyal Ginio -- and The Balkans, war, and migration / Nedim Ipek -- The Balkan wars and the refugee leadership of the early Turkish republic / Erik Jan Zürcher -- The traumatic legacy of the Balkan wars for Turkish intellectuals / Funda Selçuk Şirin -- The loss of the lost : the effects of the Balkan wars on the construction of modern Turkish nationalism / Mehmet Arısan -- What did the Albanians do? : postwar disputes on Albanian attitudes / Çağdaş Sümer -- The legacy and impacts of the defeat in the Balkan wars of 1912-1913 on the psychological makeup of the Turkish officer corps / Doğan Akyaz -- The influence of the Balkan wars on the two military officers who would have the greatest impact on the fortunes of the Ottoman Empire and the Republic of Turkey / Preston Hughes -- More history than they can consume? : perception of the Balkan wars in Turkish republican textbooks (1932-2007) / Nazan Çiçek -- Chronology of the Balkan wars.
- 9781607812401 (cloth : alk. paper) and 9781607812418 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 809-852) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19188084