When swing was the thing [electronic resource] : personality profiles of the big band era / John R. Tumpak
- Tumpak, John R., 1940-
- Milwaukee, Wis. : Marquette University Press, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- 264 p.,  p. of plates : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The band leaders. Van Alexander ; Benny Goodman ; Horace Heidt ; Jonn Kirby ; Kay Kyser ; Billy May ; Ray McKinley ; Glenn Miller ; Alvino Rey and the King Sisters ; Jan Savitt ; Artie Shaw ; Orrin Tucker ; Chick Webb and Mario Bauza ; Gerald Wilson -- The musicians. Ernani Bernardi ; Milt Bernhart ; Buddy Childers ; Jack Costanzo ; Rosalind Cron ; Alan Greenspan ; Jack Hanna ; Roc Hillman ; Legh Knowles ; John LaPorta ; Willie Schwartz and Peggy Clark ; Chico Sesma ; Butch Stone ; Paul Tanner ; Zeke Zarchy -- The vocalists. Bob Eberly ; Herb Jeffries ; Jack Leonard ; Dolores O'Neill ; Andy Russell ; Jo Stafford ; Kay Starr ; Garry Stevens ; Martha Tilton ; Bea Wain ; Margaret Whiting -- The arrangers. Frank Comstock ; Fletcher Henderson, Don Redman, and Sy Oliver ; Johnny Mandel -- The contributors. Chuck Cecil ; Henry Holloway ; Tom Sheils ; George T. Simon.
- The Big Band Era of 1935 to 1946 was the only time in America's history when jazz was the most popular form of music. Fifteen piece swinging dance bands swept the country in popularity. The music they played became an important part of America's cultural history and created a level of morale that helped pull us through the Great Depression and World War II. When Swing Was the Thing presents both an excellent introduction to the Era and new information for those already familiar with it, providing detailed profiles of the Era's bandleaders, musicians, vocalists, arrangers, and contributors, many based on personal interviews. This book fully captures the nostalgic flavor of the Big Band Era through 114 vintage photographs and the story of the lives of the people who made it happen.--Publisher's information.
- 9780874620245 (hardcover : alk. paper) and 0874620244 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Errata slip inserted. and Includes index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19189917