The wow climax [electronic resource] : tracing the emotional impact of popular culture / Henry Jenkins
- Jenkins, Henry, 1958-
- New York : New York University Press, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 285 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Games, the new lively art -- Monstrous beauty and mutant aesthetics : rethinking Matthew Barney's relation to the horror genre -- Death-defying heroes -- Never trust a snake : WWF wrestling as masculine melodrama -- Exploiting feminism in Stephanie Rothman's Terminal Island -- "You don't say that in English!" : the scandal of Lupe Velez -- "Going bonkers!" : children, play, and Pee-Wee -- "Complete freedom of movement" : video games as gendered play spaces -- "Her suffering aristocratic majesty" : the sentimental value of Lassie.
- Popular culture—United States
- Popular culture—United States—Psychological aspects
- Emotions—Social aspects—United States
- Affect (Psychology)—United States
- Aesthetics—Social aspects—United States
- Mass media—Social aspects—United States
- Mass media—United States—Psychological aspects
- United States—Social conditions—1933-1945
- United States—Social conditions—1945-
- 0814742823 (cloth : alk. paper), 0814742831 (pbk. : alk. paper), 9780814742822 (cloth : alk. paper), and 9780814742839 (pbk. ; alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 247-272) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19193714