The family issues reader / edited by Constance L. Shehan
- Thousand Oaks, California : SAGE Publications, Inc., 
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 685 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Shehan, Constance L.
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I FORMING INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS -- 1.Conventions of Courtship: Gender and Race Differences in the Significance of Dating Rituals / Kara Cebulko -- 2.Online Dating in Middle and Later Life: Gendered Expectations and Experiences / Anne E. Barrett -- 3.Direct and Indirect Messages African American Women Receive From Their Familial Networks About Intimate Relationships and Sex: The Intersecting Influence of Race, Gender, and Class / Maya A. Corneille -- 4.Do as I Say, Not as I Did: How Parents Talk With Early Adolescents About Sex / Sumru Erkut -- 5.Praying for Mr. Right? Religion, Family Background, and Marital Expectations Among College Women / Norval D. Glenn -- 6."When Are You Getting Married?" The Intergenerational Transmission of Attitudes Regarding Marital Timing and Marital Importance / Lauren M. Hill -- pt. II THE MEANINGS OF MARRIAGE -- 7.He Says, She Says: Gender and Cohabitation / Cara A. Bergstrom-Lynch -- 8.Waiting to Be Asked: Gender, Power, and Relationship Progression Among Cohabiting Couples / Amanda J. Miller -- 9."I'm a Loser, I'm Not Married, Let's Just All Look at Me": Ever-Single Women's Perceptions of Their Social Environment / Lawrence Ganong -- 10."Marriage Is More Than Being Together": The Meaning of Marriage for Young Adults / Laura Napolitano -- 11.Toward a Deeper Understanding of the Meaning of Marriage Among Black Men / Tera R. Hurt -- pt. III THE DYNAMICS AND QUALITY OF INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS -- 12.Romantic Relationships Following Wartime Deployment / Howard M. Weiss -- 13.Reconstructing Marital Closeness While Caring for a Spouse With Alzheimer's / Jeanne Hayes -- 14.Explaining Couple Cohesion in Different Types of Gay Families / Erin King -- 15.Religiosity, Homogamy, and Marital Adjustment: An Examination of Newlyweds in First Marriages and Remarriages / Thomas R. Lee -- 16.A Longitudinal Investigation of Commitment Dynamics in Cohabiting Relationships / Howard J. Markman -- pt. IV VIOLENCE IN INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS -- 17.Abused Husbands: A Narrative Analysis / Todd A. Migliaccio -- 18.Physical Health Effects of Intimate Partner Abuse / Carrie LeFevre Sillito -- 19.Intimate Partner Violence and Coparenting Across the Transition to Parenthood / Anna R. Solmeyer -- 20.Parenting in Adolescence and Young Adult Intimate Partner Violence / Monica A. Longmore -- pt. V INSTABILITY AND DISSOLUTION OF INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS -- 21.Wives' Economic Resources and Risk of Divorce / Jay Teachman -- 22.Religion and Attitudes Toward Divorce Laws Among U.S. Adults / Christopher G. Ellison -- 23."The Kids Still Come First": Creating Family Stability During Partnership Instability in Rural, Low-Income Families / Lenna L. Ontai -- 24.Unique Matching Patterns in Remarriage: Educational Assortative Mating Among Divorced Men and Women / Kevin Shafer -- pt. VI BECOMING A PARENT -- 25.Is Adoption an Option? The Role of Importance of Motherhood and Fertility Help-Seeking in Considering Adoption / Patricia Wonch Hill -- 26.Intercountry Versus Transracial Adoption: Analysis of Adoptive Parents' Motivations and Preferences in Adoption / Gary R. Lee -- 27.Donor-Shared Siblings or Genetic Strangers: New Families, Clans, and the Internet / Jane Mattes -- 28.The Desire for Parenthood: Gay Men Choosing to Become Parents Through Surrogacy / Dean A. Murphy -- 29.Childlessness, Parenthood, and Depressive Symptoms Among Middle-Aged and Older Adults / Michael Loree -- pt. VII PARENTING -- 30.Dads Who Do Diapers: Factors Affecting Care of Young Children by Fathers / Akiko Yoshida -- 31.Changes in the Cultural Model of Father Involvement: Descriptions of Benefits to Fathers, Children, and Mothers in Parents' Magazine, 1926-2006 / Kathleen E. Denny -- 32.Who Cares for the Kids? Caregiving and Parenting in Disney Films / Daniel Fernandez-Baca -- 33.Intensive Mothering Beliefs Among Full-Time Employed Mothers of Infants / Joseph G. Grzywacz -- 34.Being a Good Mom: Low-Income, Black Single Mothers Negotiate Intensive Mothering / Joslyn Brenton -- 35."Raising Him ... to Pull His Own Weight": Boys' Household Work in Single-Mother Households / Jennifer L. Romich -- 36.Teaching and Learning Color Consciousness in Black Families: Exploring Family Processes and Women's Experiences With Colorism / Colleen Cain -- 37."I Am Not Going to Lose My Kids to the Streets": Meanings and Experiences of Motherhood Among Mexican-Origin Women / Bertranna A. Abrams -- pt. VIII WORK AND ECONOMICS -- 38."For the Good of Our Family": Men's Attitudes Toward Their Wives' Employment / Damian White -- 39.Making Ends Meet: Insufficiency and Work-Family Coordination in the New Economy / Eric C. Dahlin -- 40.Economic Hardship and Adaptation Among Asian American Families / Ross D. Parke -- 41.Educational Aspirations, Expectations, and Realities for Middle-Income Families / Frank F. Furstenberg -- 42.Recession Jitters Among Professional Class Families: Perceptions of Economic Strain and Family Adjustments / NaYeon Lee -- pt. IX INTERGENERATIONAL RELATIONSHIPS -- 43.Married Couples in Assisted Living: Adult Children's Experiences Providing Support / Candace L. Kemp -- 44.Perspectives on Extended Family and Fictive Kin in the Later Years: Strategies and Meanings of Kin Reinterpretation / Karen A. Roberto -- 45.The Intergenerational Effects of Relocation Policies on Indigenous Families / Les B. Whitbeck -- 46.Power, Resistance, and Emotional Economies in Women's Relationships With Mothers-in-Law in Chinese Immigrant Families / Karen Pyke -- 47.Familismo in Mexican and Dominican Families From Low-Income, Urban Communities / Hirokazu Yoshikawa.
- 9781506306896 paperback alkaline paper
1506306896 paperback alkaline paper
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2016
View MARC record | catkey: 19200062