Nurturing the nation [electronic resource] : the family politics of modernizing, colonizing and liberating Egypt (1805/1923) / Lisa Pollard
- Pollard, Lisa
- Berkeley : University of California Press, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 287 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- My house and yours -- Egyptian state servants and the new geography of nationhood -- Inside Egypt -- The harem, the hovel and the Western construction of an Egyptian landscape -- Domesticating Egypt -- The gendered politics of the British occupation -- The home, the schoolroom and the cultivation of Egyptian nationalism -- Table talk, or the home economics of nationhood -- The household on display -- The family politics of the 1919 revolution -- Gender and the birth of the modern Egyptian nation-state.
- 0520240227 (cloth : alk. paper)
0520240235 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19406863