Oedipus at Colonus [electronic resource] : Sophocles, Athens, and the World / Andreas Markantonatos
- Markantonatos, Andreas
- Berlin ; Boston : De Gruyter, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (370 p.)
- Language Note:
- In English.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Frontmatter -- Preface -- Contents -- Introduction -- Chapter 1. The Poet, the Polis and the Play -- Chapter 2. Multiple Stories: The Oedipus Myth -- Chapter 3. Sophocles and Oedipus: The Quest for Athens -- Chapter 4. Religion and History: The Future of Athens -- Chapter 5. Tragic Intertextuality: Hope and Fear -- Chapter 6. Influence and Performance: Oedipus and the World -- Conclusion -- General Index -- Index of Greek Words -- Index of Oedipus at Colonus Passages
- This book aims to offer a contemporary literary interpretation of the play, including a readable discussion of its underlying historical, religious, moral, social, and mythical issues. Also, it discusses the most recent interpretative scholarship on the play, the main intertextual affiliations with earlier Thebes-related tragedies, especially focusing on Sophocles' Antigone and Oedipus Tyrannus, and the literature and performance reception of the play; it contains an up-to-date bibliography and detailed indices. The book won the Academy of Athens Great Award for the Best Monograph in Classical Philology for 2008.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: Internet via World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 19407232