On a great battlefield [electronic resource] : the making, management, and memory of Gettysburg National Military Park, 1933-2013 / Jennifer M. Murray
- Murray, Jennifer M.
- Knoxville : The University of Tennessee Press, 2014.
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 312 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- We are met on a great battlefield: Gettysburg, 1863-1933 -- We cannot hallow this ground: the National Park Service's beginnings at Gettysburg, 1933-1940 -- From these honored dead we take increased devotion: Gettysburg does its part for victory, 1941-1945 -- The world will little note nor long remember: postwar tourism, patriotism, and the new birth of commercialization, 1946-1955 -- The great task remaining before us: MISSION 66 and Cold War patriotism, 1956-1960 -- Dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal: the Civil War Centennial at Gettysburg, 1961-1965 -- Our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation: the new Gettysburg experience, 1966-1975 -- So conceived and so dedicated: balancing preservation and visitor access, 1976-1988 -- Now we are engaged in a great Civil War: finding a vision amidst a sea of turmoil, 1989-1997 -- They who fought here: culture wars and a new direction at Gettysburg, 1998-2000 -- Shall not perish from the earth: a new beginning at Gettysburg, 2001-2009.
- 9781621900535 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 285-298) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19407630