The only efficient instrument [electronic resource] : American women writers & the periodical, 1837-1916 / edited by Aleta Feinsod Cane & Susan Alves
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: Part 1 Gender, Voice, and Self-Representation -- 1 Testing and Testifying: The Hart Sisters -- 2 The Heartbeat of a West Indian Slave: -- The History of Mary Prince -- 3 The Enigma of Arrival: Wonderful -- Adventures of Mrs. Seacole --Part 2 The Estranging Sea 73 -- 4 "The Traveling Ulysses Scene": -- Claude McKay's A Long Way from Home -- and My Green Hills of Jamaica -- 5 Blurred Genres, Blended Voices: -- George Lamming's In the Castle of My Skin -- 6 Autobiographical Frameworks and -- Linked Discourses: George Lamming's -- The Pleasures of Exile and C. L. R. James's -- Beyond a Boundary -- 7 Poetic Autobiography: Derek Walcott's -- Another Life -- Part 3 Birthrights and Legacies -- 8 Fragments of Epic Memory: V. S. Naipaul's -- Finding the Center and A Way in the World -- 9 Maternal Bonds: My Mother's Daughter: -- The Autobiography of Anna Mahase., Snr., -- 1899-1978 -- 10 Colonist and Creole: Yseult Bridges's Child -- of the Tropics and Jean Rhys's Smile Please --Part 4 Autobiography, Elegy, and -- Gender Identification 227 -- 11 Beyond Consolation: Kamau Brathwaite's -- The Zea Mexican Diary -- 12 Death and Sexuality: Jamaica Kincaid's -- My Brother.
- American literature—Women authors—History and criticism
- Women and literature—United States—History—19th century
- Women and literature—United States—History—20th century
- American literature—19th century—History and criticism
- American literature—20th century—History and criticism
- Journalism—United States—History
- American periodicals—History
- 0877457808 (acid-free paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -229) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19408263