Perpetual euphoria [electronic resource] : on the duty to be happy / Pascal Bruckner ; translated by Steven Rendall
- Bruckner, Pascal
- Uniform Title:
- Euphorie perpétuelle. English
- Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- x, 244 p. ; 23 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- pt. 1. Paradise is where I am. Life as a dream and a lie -- The golden age and after? -- The disciplines of beatitude -- pt. 2. The kingdom of lukewarm, or, The invention of banality. The bittersweet saga of dullness -- The extremists of routine -- Real life is not absent -- pt. 3. The bourgeoisie, or, The abjection of well-being. "The fat, prosperous elevation of the average, the mediocre" -- What is happiness for some is kitsch for others -- If money doesn't make you happy, give it back! -- pt. 4. Unhappiness outlawed? The crime of suffering -- Impossible wisdom -- Conclusion Madame Verdurin's croissant.
- 9780691143736 (hardcover : alk. paper)
0691143730 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19412537