- Contours of Christian philosophy
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- General preface -- Preface to the second edition -- What is philosophy of religion? Philosophy of religion and other disciplines ; Philosophy of religion and philosophy ; Can thinking about religion be neutral? ; Fideism ; Neutralism ; Critical dialogue -- The theistic God : the project of natural theology. Concepts of God ; The theistic concept of God ; A case study : divine foreknowledge and human freedom ; The problem of religious language ; Natural theology ; Proofs of God's existence -- Classical arguments for God's existence. Ontological arguments ; Cosmological arguments ; Teleological arguments ; Moral arguments ; Conclusions: the value of theistic argument -- Religious experience. Types of religious experience ; Two models for understanding experience ; Experience of God as direct and mediated ; Are religious experiences veridical? ; Checking experiential claims -- Special acts of God : revelation and miracles. Special acts ; Theories of revelation ; Is the traditional view defensible? ; What is a miracle? ; Is it reasonable to believe in miracles? ; Can a revelation have special authority? -- Religion, modernity, and science. Modernity and religious belief ; Naturalism ; Do the natural sciences undermine religious belief? ; Objections from the social sciences ; Religious uses of modern atheism? -- The problem of evil. Types of evil, versions of the problem and types of responses ; The logical form of the problem ; The evidential form of the problem ; Horrendous evils and the problem of hell ; Divine hiddenness -- Faith(s) and reason. Faith : subjectivity in religious arguments ; The evidentialist challenge to religious belief ; Reformed epistemology ; The place of subjectivity in forming beliefs ; Interpretive judgments and the nature of a "cumulative case" ; Can faith be certain? ; Faith and doubt : can religious faith be tested? ; What is faith? ; Could one religion be true?
- 9780830838769 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0830838767 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -229) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19413633