The pleasures of memory [electronic resource] : learning to read with Charles Dickens / Sarah Winter
- Winter, Sarah
- New York : Fordham University Press, 2011.
- 1st ed.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 455 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Dickens and the pleasures of memory -- Memory's bonds: associationism and the freedom of thought -- Dickens's originality: serial fiction, celebrity, and The Pickwick Papers -- The pleasures of memory, part I: curiosity as didacticism in The Old Curiosity Shop -- The pleasures of memory, part II: epitaphic reading and cultural memory -- Learning by heart in Our Mutual Friend -- Dickens's laughter: school reading and democratic literature, 1870-1940.
- 9780823233526 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 409-436) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19414933