Practicing protestants [electronic resource] : histories of Christian life in America, 1630-1965 / edited by Laurie F. Maffly-Kipp, Leigh E. Schmidt, Mark Valeri
- Baltimore, Md. : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 363 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Maffly-Kipp, Laurie F., 1960-, Schmidt, Leigh Eric, and Valeri, Mark R.
- Lived religions
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Part I: Evangelical practice in Enlightenment New England, 1630-1800 -- Writing as Protestant practice : devotional diaries in early New England / Catherine Brekus -- Forgiveness : from the Puritans to Jonathan Edwards / Mark Valeri -- Part II: Mission, nation, and Christian practice, 1820-1940 -- Assembling bodies and souls : missionary practices on the Pacific frontier / Laurie Maffly-Kipp -- Honoring elders : practices of sagacity and deference in Ojibwe Christianity / Michael McNally -- Nurturing religious nationalism : Korean Americans in Hawaii / David K. Yoo -- Re-forming the church : preservation, renewal, and restoration in American Christian practice / Roberto Lint Sagarena -- Part III: Devotional practices and modern predicaments, 1880-1920 -- Acting faith : practices of religious healing in late-nineteenth-century Protestantism / Heather D. Curtis -- Observing the lives of the saints' : sanctification as practice in the Church of God in Christ / Anthea Butler -- The practice of prayer in a modern age : liberals, fundamentalists, and prayer in the early twentieth century / Rick Ostrander -- Part IV: Liberal Protestants and universalizing practices, 1850-1965 -- Cosmopolitan piety : sympathy, comparative religions, and nineteenth-century liberalism / Leigh Schmidt -- The practice of dance for the future of Christianity : "eurythmic worship" in New York's roaring twenties / Tisa Wenger -- Taste cultures : the visual practice of liberal Protestantism / Sally Promey.
- 080188361X (hardcover : alk. paper) and 0801883628 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19418088