The quest for citizenship [electronic resource] : African American and Native American education in Kansas, 1880-1935 / Kim Cary Warren
- Warren, Kim Cary
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 229 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Origins, ideology, and racial hierarchies. Reformers: "friends of the Indians" and "friends of the Negroes" -- Curriculum: acquiring the habits of citizenship -- Strategies of negotiation. Students: Native American negotiations at Haskell Institute -- Parents: African American integration on the "plateau of uncertainty" -- New leaders in the twentieth century. Teachers: from industrial education to African American race pride -- Identity: Native American biculturalism -- Conclusion. Unintended consequences: the next generation.
- 9780807833964 (cloth : alk. paper)
0807833967 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780807871379 (pbk : alk. paper)
0807871370 (pbk : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -223) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19423103