- Modern and contemporary poetics
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Radical Jewish culture/secular Jewish practice / Charles Bernstein -- Who or what is a Jewish American poet, with specific reference to David Antin, Charles Bernstein, Rachel Blau Duplessis, and Jerome Rothenberg / Hank Lazer -- The house of Jews: experimental modernism and traditional Jewish practice / Jerome Rothenberg -- Zukofsky at 100: Zukofsky as a body of work / Bob Perelman -- Addendum: on "the Jewish question": three perspectives / Bob Perelman -- Light(silence)word / Norman Fischer -- On Yiddish poetry and translation of Yiddish poetry / Kathryn Hellerstein -- An "exotic" on East Broadway: Mikhl Likht and the paradoxes of Yiddish modernist poetry / Merle Bachman -- Revisiting Charles Reznikoff's urban poetics of diaspora and contingency / Ranen Omer-Sherman -- Looking at Louis Zukofsky's poetics through Spinozist glasses / Joshua Schuster -- "Can a Jew be wild": the radical Jewish grammar of Gertrude Stein's voices poems / Amy Feinstein -- Remains of the diaspora: a personal meditation / Michael Heller -- Secular and sacred: returning (to) the repressed / Alicia Ostriker -- Midrashic sensibilities: secular Judaism and radical poetics (a personal essay in several chapters) / Rachel Blau DuPlessis -- Secular Jewish culture and its radical poetic discontents / Norman Finkelstein -- Radical relation: Jewish identity and the power of contradictions in the poetics of Muriel Rukeyser and George Oppen / Meg Schoerke -- "Yes and no, not either/or": aesthetics, identity, and Marjorie Perloff's Vienna paradox / Daniel Morris -- "Sound scraps, vision scraps": Paul Celan's poetic practice / Marjorie Perloff -- Language in the dark: the legacy of Walter Benjamin in the opera Shadowtime / Charlie Bertsch -- Danger, skepticism, and democratic longing: five contemporary secular Jewish American poets / Thomas Fink -- Relentlessly going on and on: how Jews remade modern poetry without even trying / Stephen Paul Miller -- Azoy toot a Yid: secular poetics and "the Jewish way" / Eric Murphy Selinger -- A Jew in New York / Bob Holman -- Imp/penetrable archive: Adeena Karasick's wall of sound / Maria Damon -- In the shadow of desire: Charles Bernstein's Shadowtime and its kabbalistic trajectories / Adeena Karasick -- Hijacking language: kabbalistic trajectories / Adeena Karasick -- Letter to the Romans / Benjamin Friedlander -- White / Paul Auster.
- 9780817316754 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780817355630 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0817316752 (cloth : alk. paper)
0817355634 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19423645