Reading north by south [electronic resource] : on Latin American literature, culture, and politics / Neil Larsen
- Larsen, Neil
- Minneapolis, Minn. : University of Minnesota Press, c1995.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 234 p. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- "Seminal work deals with the import and political consequences of the most influential approaches to the study of Latin American literature in the US. Chief virtue resides in scholarly method: a deep investigation of the theoretical foundations of major contributions. Essays demonstrate how many important approaches lack theoretical rigor due to a failure to investigate the philosophical grounding of the ideas deployed in the literary studies. A crucial book for serious critics. Absolutely required for all work on the boom and critical approaches that brought it about and maintain it; as well as for colonial discourse, testimonio, hegemony and ideology, and 'invention' approaches"--Handbook of Latin American Studies, v. 58.
- 0816625832 (acvid-free paper) and 0816625840 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 217-226) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19424391