Real NASCAR [electronic resource] : white lightning, red clay, and Big Bill France / Daniel S. Pierce
- Pierce, Daniel S.
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, c2010.
- Physical Description:
- 348 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- In the beginning-- there was Bristol -- The Piedmont hell of a fellow and the origins of stock car racing -- Home-towners going at it tooth and nail : pre-World War II Piedmont stock car racing -- Rough and rowdy : Big Bill, the Atlanta Bootleggers, and the Bootlegger tracks -- A paper dream? : the creation and early years of NASCAR -- Darlington, Bamooda shorts, Jocko Flocko, and the fabulous Hudson Hornet : NASCAR Grand National, 1950-1954 -- I would have been willing to bet-- we would never have to sleep in the car again : feast and famine, NASCAR, 1955-1958 -- High stakes poker : NASCAR, 1959-1963 -- Give 'em all a shot of whiskey and drop the flag : NASCAR's danger years, 1964-1967 -- The dirt tracks are rapidly becoming a thing of the past : the end of the beginning, 1968-1972 -- Back to Bristol.
- 9780807833841 (cloth : alk. paper)
0807833843 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 301-333) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19424571