Redefining first-century Jewish and Christian identities [electronic resource] : essays in honor of Ed Parish Sanders / edited by Fabian E. Udoh ; with Susannah Heschel, Mark Chancey, and Gregory Tatum
- Christianity and Judaism in antiquity series ; v. 16
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction / Fabian E. Udoh -- Part 1: Prologue -- Professor Sanders at Duke / D. Moody Smith -- Comparing Judaism and Christianity : an academic autobiography / E.P. Sanders -- The problem of self-definition : what self and whose definition? / Jouette M. Bassler -- Part 2: Judaism -- Common Judaism in Greek and Latin authors / Shaye J.D. Cohen -- Setting the outer limits : temple policy in the centuries prior to destruction / Albert I. Baumgarten -- Whose "outer limits"? : historiography for an age of destruction / Cynthia M. Baker -- All Israel have a portion in the world to come / Israel J. Yuval -- The place of the Sadducees in first-century Judaism / Martin Goodman -- Sanders's "common Judaism" and the common Judaism of material culture / Eric M. Meyers -- Common Judaism and the multidimensional character of material culture / Jurgen Zangenberg -- Part 3: Jesus and the Gospels -- Jesus in Jewish Galilee / Seán Freyne -- Jewish Galilee : its Hellenization, Romanization, and commercialization / Peter Richardson -- Crucifying Caiaphas : Hellenism and the high priesthood in life of Jesus narratives / Adele Reinhartz -- Gospel chronologies, the scene in the temple, and the crucifixion of Jesus / Paula Fredriksen -- The incident at the temple as the occasion for Jesus' death : meeting some objections / Stephen Hultgren -- The historical Jesus and the historical sabbath / John P. Meier -- Part 4: Paul -- On the source of Paul's problem with Judaism / Craig C. Hill -- A controversial Jew and his conflicting convictions : Paul, the law, and the Jewish people twenty years after / Heikki Räisänen -- What is "real participation in Christ"? : a dialogue with E.P. Sanders on Pauline soteriology / Richard B. Hays -- What is "Pauline participation in Christ"? / Stanley K. Stowers -- Grace and the transformation of agency in Christ / John M.G. Barclay.
- 9780268044534 (cloth : alk. paper)
0268044538 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Essays originated as papers presented at a conference held Apr. 10-13, 2003 at the University of Notre Dame.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
"Bibliography of works by E.P. Sanders": p. 391-396.
View MARC record | catkey: 19425410