Reflections of a political economist [electronic resource] : selected articles on government policies and political processes / William A. Niskanen
- Niskanen, William A., 1933-2011
- Washington, D.C. : Cato Institute, c2008.
- Physical Description:
- vii, 363 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Pt. I. Policy analysis -- 1. Oil is not worth a war -- 2. R&D and economic growth : cautionary thoughts -- 3. Too much, too soon : is a global warming treaty a rush to judgment? -- 4. Next steps toward health policy reform -- 5. The economic basis for military capacity -- 6. Creating good jobs and good wages -- 7. Should the Ex-Im Bank be retired? -- 8. On the death of the Phillips Curve -- 9. The economic burden of taxation -- 10. Increasing individual responsibility would improve retirement security -- 11. An unnecessary war is an unjust war -- 12. Major policy lessons from the corporate scandals -- 13. An unconventional perspective on the Greenspan record -- 14. The several costs of responding to the threat of terrorism -- 15. The failure to starve the beast -- Pt. II. Public choice -- 16. Autocratic, democratic, and optimal government : a sketch -- 17. A vote for Perot was a vote for the status quo -- 18. On the constitution of a compound republic -- 19. Bureaucracy : a final perspective -- 20. Bringing power to knowledge : choosing policies to use decentralized knowledge -- 21. On the origin and identification of government failures -- 22. The intellectual case for a free market economy -- 23. U.S. elections are increasingly biased against moderates -- 24. Advice from a friendly American on the proposed constitution for the European Union -- 25. A case for divided government -- 26. Alternative political and economic futures for Europe -- 27. On Wisconsin : some friendly constitutional advice -- 28. A reformulation of voting theory -- Pt. III. Book reviews -- 29. 'Pop internationalism' by Paul Krugman -- 30. 'Everything for sale : the virtues and limits of markets' by Robert Kuttner -- 31. 'Perspectives on public choice : a handbook' edited by Dennis C. Mueller -- 32. 'Power and prosperity : outgrowing communist and capitalist dictatorship' by Mancur Olson -- 33. 'In defense of free capital markets : the case against a new international financial architecture' by David F. DeRosa -- 34. 'Virginia political economy : the selected works of Gordon Tullock. Volume 1' edited by Charles K. Rowley -- 35. Pay without performance : the unfulfilled promise of executive compensation by Lucian Bebehuk and Jesse Fried -- 36. 'The market for virtue : the potential and limits of corporate social responsibilities' by David Vogel -- 37. 'Why I, too, am not a conservative : the normative vision of classical liberalism' by James M. Buchanan -- 38. 'The age of turbulence : adventures in a new world' by Alan Greenspan -- Pt. IV. Personal reflections -- 39. A reflection on the major developments in the world, 1951-2000 -- 40. Policy proposals from the libertarian right -- 41. A personal reflection on the Trinity.
- 9781933995205 (alk. paper) and 1933995203 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19425578