Regional fictions [electronic resource] : culture and identity in nineteenth-century American literature / Stephanie Foote
- Foote, Stephanie
- Madison : University of Wisconsin Press, c2001.
- Physical Description:
- vi, 218 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- "I feared to find myself a foreigner" : Sarah Orne Jewett's The country of the pointed firs -- The region of the repressed and the return of the region : Hamlin Garland and Harold Frederic -- The history of a historyless people : Gertrude Atherton's The Californians -- "The shadow of the Ethiopian" : George Washington Cable's The grandissimes -- Disorienting regionalism : Jacob Riis, the city, and the Chinese question -- Representation and Tammany Hall : locating the body politic.
- 0299171108 (alk. paper)
0299171140 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 198-205) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19425895