Religious pluralism in America [electronic resource] : the contentious history of a founding ideal / William R. Hutchison
- Hutchison, William R.
- New Haven : Yale University Press, c2003.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 276 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction : religious pluralism as a work in progress -- Here are no disputes : reputation and realities in the new republic -- Just behave yourself : pluralism as selective tolerance -- Marching to Zion : the Protestant establishment as a unifying force -- Repentance for our social sins : adjustments within the establishment -- In (partway) from the margins : pluralism as inclusion -- Surviving a while longer : the establishment under stress in the early twentieth century -- Don't change your name : early assaults on the melting pot ideal -- Protestant-Catholic-Jew : new mainstream, gropings toward a new pluralism -- Whose America is it anyway? : the sixties and after.
- 0300098138 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -262) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19426674