Schools under surveillance [electronic resource] : cultures of control in public education / edited by Torin Monahan and Rodolfo D. Torres
- Critical issues in crime and society
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- To protect, serve, and mentor? Police officers in public schools / Aaron Kupchik, Nicole L. Bracy -- School surveillance in America: disparate and unequal / Paul Hirschfield -- The docile body in school space / Lizbet Simmons -- Safety or social control? The security fortification of schools in a capitalist society / Ronnie Casella -- Online surveillance in Canadian schools / Valerie Steeves -- "School ownership Is the goal": military recruiting, public schools, and fronts of war / Tyler Wall -- Reading, writing, and readiness / Richard A. Matthew -- Risky youth and the psychology of surveillance: the crisis of the school shooter / Tyson Lewis -- "Politics by other means": education accountability and the surveillance state / Pauline Lipman -- The measure of success: education, markets, and an audit culture / Michael W. Apple -- Lying, cheating, and teaching to the test: the politics of surveillance under No Child Left Behind / John Gilliom -- Scan this: examining student resistance to school surveillance / Jen Weiss -- Seductions of risk, social control, and resistance to school surveillance / Andrew Hope.
- 9780813546797 (hardcover : alk. paper)
9780813546803 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19431855