Selling women [electronic resource] : prostitution, markets, and the household in early modern Japan / Amy Stanley ; foreword by Matthew H. Sommer
- Stanley, Amy, 1978-
- Berkeley : University of California Press, c2012.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, 256 p. : ill., maps ; 24 cm.
- Asia: local studies/global themes ; 21
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Adulterous prostitutes, pawned wives, and purchased women: female bodies as currency -- Creating "prostitutes": benevolence, profit, and the construction of a gendered order -- Negotiating the gendered order: prostitutes as daughters, wives, and mothers -- From household to market: child-sellers, "widows," and other shameless people -- Glittering hair ornaments and barren fields: prostitution and the crisis of the countryside -- Tora and the "rules of the pleasure quarter" -- Conclusion.
- 9780520270909 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 199-242) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19433424