Some wear leather, some wear lace [electronic resource] : the worldwide compendium of postpunk and goth in the 1980s / by Andi Harriman and Marloes Bontje
- Harriman, Andi
- Additional Titles:
- Worldwide compendium of postpunk and goth in the 1980s
Worldwide compendium of postpunk and goth in the nineteen eighties
- Bristol, UK : Intellect, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- 216 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 22 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Bontje, Marloes
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Intro -- Atmosphere -- Kings of the wild frontier -- Places: Scandinavia -- A New dark age -- Places: Behind the iron Curtain -- Everyday is Halloween -- This corrosion -- Memorabilia -- A new form of beauty -- Spirit (We love our audience!) -- Painted bird -- Places: Japan -- Like cockatoos -- Places: Grufti Nation -- Promised land -- Places: The Netherlands -- Face to face -- Meat of youth -- Photo Collections -- I. Style: Creatures of the night -- II. La Movida : New cultural identity -- III. Boredom of life : spheres and sentiments; IV. To the Batcave! -- V. Shot! : Becoming history -- Winklepickers -- The last song
- It was a scene that had many names: some original members referred to themselves as punks, others, new romantics, new wavers, the bats, or the morbids. "Goth" did not gain lexical currency until the late 1980s. But no matter what term was used, "postpunk" encompasses all the incarnations of the 1980s alternative movement. Some Wear Leather, Some Wear Lace is a visual and oral history of the first decade of the scene. Featuring interviews with both the performers and the audience to capture the community on and off stage, the book places personal snapshots alongside professional photography to reveal a unique range of fashions, bands, and scenes. Alongside rare photographs, the interviewees discuss the motivations behind the dark aesthetic: the fashion, the art and, most of all, the music --
- 9781783203529 (paperback)
View MARC record | catkey: 19437383