State formation [electronic resource] : anthropological perspectives / edited by Christian Krohn-Hansen and Knut G. Nustad ; foreword by Bruce Kapferer
- London ; Ann Arbor, MI : Pluto Press, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 263 p. ; 22 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Krohn-Hansen, Christian, 1957- and Nustad, Knut G., 1968-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction / Christian Krohn-Hansen and Knut G. Nustad -- Sovereignty, the spatial politics of security, and gender : looking north and south from the US-Mexico border / Ana M. Alonso -- Chiefs and bureaucrats in the making of empire : a drama from the Transkei, South Africa, October 1880 / Clifton Crais -- State formation through development in post-apartheid South Africa / Knut G. Nustad -- Negotiated dictatorship : the building of the Trujillo State in the southwestern Dominican Republic / Christian Krohn-Hansen -- The materiality of state effects : an ethnography of a road in the Peruvian Andes / Penelope Harvey -- Contradictory notions of the state : returned refugees in Guatemala / Kristi Anne Stølen -- Counting on state subjects : state formation and citizenship in twentieth-century Mexico / Helga Baitenmann -- "A speech that the entire ministry may stand for" : on generating state voice / Iver B. Neumann -- "Better safe than sorry" : legislating assisted conception in Norway / Marit Melhuus -- The state of the state in Europe, or, "What is the European Union that anthropologists should be mindful of it"? / Cris Shore.
- 074532441X (pbk.)
- Chiefly papers presented at a workshop held at the University of Oslo in Oct. 2002.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19439556