Swiftly Sterneward [electronic resource] : essays on Laurence Sterne and his times in honor of Melvyn New / edited by W. B. Gerard, E. Derek Taylor, and Robert G. Walker
- Newark : University Of Delaware Press ; Lanham, Md. : Co-published with Rowman & Littlefield Pub. Group, c2011.
- Physical Description:
- xxiii, 280 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Gerard, William Blake, Taylor, Derek (E. Derek), Walker, Robert G. (Robert Gary), 1947-, and New, Melvyn
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Selected publications by Melvyn New -- Part I: Perspectives on the eighteenth century -- Alexander Pope, T. S. Eliot, and the fate of poetry / Joseph G. Kronick -- A sentimental journey through Thomas Gainsborough's "cottage-door" paintings / E. Derek Taylor -- Johnson and moral argument: "we talked of the casuistical question..." / Robert G. Walker -- Slavery in Roderick Random / Taylor Corse -- The printing and publication of three folio editions of George Lyttelton's To the memory of a lady lately deceased (1747-1748) / James E. May -- Parson Adams's sermons: Benjamin Hoadly and Henry Fielding / Martha F. Bowden -- Joseph Andrews, realism, and openness / Eric Rothstein -- Satire and the psychology of religion in Swift and Nietzsche / Frank Palmeri -- Part II: Perspectives on Laurence Sterne -- Gershom Scholem's reading of Tristram Shandy / Elizabeth Kraft -- Laurence Sterne, the apostrophe, and American abolitionism, 1788-1831 / W. B. Gerard -- Attribution problems in Sterne's ecclesiastical and secular politickings / W. G. Day -- Sterne and the miracle of the fragment / Madeleine Descargues-Grant -- The centrality of Sterne in the culture of modernity, or Melvyn New and the rewriting of the west / Donald R. Wehrs.
- 9781611490589 (cloth : alk. paper), 1611490588 (cloth : alk. paper), 9781611490596 (electronic), and 1611490596 (electronic)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19444328