Teach, breathe, learn [electronic resource] : mindfulness in and out of the classroom / Meena Srinivasan
- Srinivasan, Meena
- Berkeley, California : Parallax Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 222 pages ; 24 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Machine generated contents note: Contents -- Preface -- Introduction: What Is Mindfulness? -- Part 1 How Do I Implement Mindfulness in My Life? -- Chapter 1 Mindful Breathing -- Chapter 2 Mindful Walking -- Chapter 3 Deep Relaxation -- Chapter 4 Mindful Eating -- Chapter 5 Doing Everyday Activities Mindfully -- Chapter 6 Watering Helpful Seeds -- Part 2 Sharing Mindfulness -- Chapter 7 The Mindfulness You Already Practice -- Chapter 8 Loving Kindness Practice -- Chapter 9 Seeing Students, Colleagues, and Parents as Yourself -- Chapter 10 Interbeing -- Chapter 11 Starting an Educators' Mindful Practice Group -- Part 3 A Curriculum for Mindfulness Educators -- Chapter 12 Lesson 1: Being Present through Breath Awareness -- Chapter 14 Lesson 2: Being Present through Body Awareness -- Chapter 15 Lesson 3: Interconnection, Kindness, and Gratitude -- Chapter 16 Lesson 4: Working with Emotions -- Chapter 17 Lesson 5: Making Healthy Decisions and Mindful Speech -- Chapter 18 Lesson 6: Mindful Use of Technology -- Chapter 19 Lesson 7: Peace -- Final Reflections -- Notes -- Index -- Acknowledgments -- About the Author.
- "Meena Srinivasan began teaching in order to touch lives, but with the demands of covering her curriculum she all but forgot her aspiration. During a retreat with Thich Nhat Hanh, Meena learned for the first time about mindfulness. In Teach, Breathe, Learn, Srinivasan highlights how mindfulness can be an effective tool in the classroom. What makes this book truly unique is Srinivasan's perspective as a classroom teacher, wrestling daily with the conditions about which she writes. Each chapter begins with a personal narrative concerning a challenge Srinivasan faced during the school day and how a specific mindfulness practice helped. Testimonials from students, colleagues, and parents appear in each chapter, along with a mindfulness practice. Part 1 helps teachers develop compassion and shift from "reacting" to "responding" to demands. Part 2 offers techniques for cultivating loving-kindness and seeing students, colleagues, and parents as oneself. The author shares what research says about the effects of mindfulness practice on academic, social, and emotional learning. The last section of the book introduces the complete curriculum teachers can use to incorporate mindfulness into their classroom, replete with lesson plans, PowerPoint diagrams, handouts, and homework assignments"--
- 9781937006747 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 19445364