This corner of Canaan [electronic resource] : essays on Texas in honor of Randolph B. Campbell / edited by Richard B. McCaslin, Donald E. Chipman, and Andrew J. Torget
- Denton, Tex. : University of North Texas Press, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 423 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- McCaslin, Richard B., Chipman, Donald E., Torget, Andrew J., 1978-, and Campbell, Randolph B., 1940-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Teacher, mentor, friend: a reflection / Laura Lyons McLemore -- Texas identity -- Texas identity: alternatives to the terrible triplets / Walter Buenger -- History, memory, and rebranding Texas as western for the 1936 centennial / Light Townsend Cummins -- Texas before the Civil War -- José Antonio Pichardo and the limits of Spanish Texas, 1803/1821 / Donald E. Chipman -- Sam Houston, Indian agent / Carol A. Lipscomb -- Stephen F. Austin's views on slavery in early Texas / Andrew J. Torget -- Texas in Civil War and Reconstruction -- Landholding in Brazos County, Texas: frontier, war, and Reconstruction / Carl H. Moneyhon -- Spirits of disillusionment: soldiering on the Texas coast and the problem of Confederate nationalism / Andrew F. Lang -- North Texans and Civil War amnesty: helpless instruments in the hands of rebellion? / Bradley R. Clampitt -- Texas Reconstruction in popular memory: what really happened in Hill County in 1871 / Richard B. McCaslin -- Texas and the new South -- The roots of southern progressivism: Texas populists and the rise of a reform coalition in Milam County / Gregg Cantrell -- African-American housing and health patterns in southwestern cities, 1865-1900 / Alwyn Barr -- Populism and the poll tax in Cooke County, Texas / Mark Stanley -- Texas and the twentieth century -- Investing in urban: the Woman's Monday Club and the entrepreneurial elite of Corpus Christi, Texas / Jessica Brannon-Wranosky -- Denton County, Texas, and the draft during the First World War / Gregory W. Ball -- "Gente Decente": Tejanos Jovita González and Edmundo E. de Mireles / Harriett Denise Joseph, Alix Riviere, and Jordan Penner -- National ideal meets local reality: grassroots war on poverty in Houston / Wesley G. Phelps -- Contributors' biographies.
- 9781574415032 (cloth : alk. paper) and 9781574415179 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19447568