The principall nauigations, voiages and discoueries of the English nation [electronic resource] : made by sea or ouer land, to the most remote and farthest distant quarters of the earth at any time within the compasse of these 1500. yeeres: deuided into three seuerall parts, according to the positions of the regions wherunto they were directed ... Whereunto is added the last most renowmed English nauigation, round about the whole globe of the earth. / By Richard Hakluyt ...
- Uniform Title:
- Principall navigations, voiages, and discoveries of the English nation
- Imprinted at London : By George Bishop and Ralph Newberie, deputies to Christopher Barker, printer to the Queenes Most Excellent Maiestie, 1589..
- Physical Description:
- 16 unnumbered pages, 242 pages, 2 unnumbered pages, 243-501 pages, 1 unnumbered page, 506-643 pages, 12 unnumbered pages, 644-825 pages, 10 unnumbered pages, 1 unnumbered folded leaf of plates : map ; 29 cm (folio)
- Additional Creators:
- Hakluyt, Richard, 1552?-1616
Barker, Christopher, 1529-1599
- Title transcribed with medial capital V as u; title as it appears: The Principall navigations, voiages and discoveries of the English nation.
First edition, second state, with the revised version of Jerome Bowes' report of his embassy to Russia (p. 491-496); includes the privately printed  p. account of Sir Francis Drake's circumnavigation, inserted between p. 643-644.
Signatures: *€ A-T€ U-X♯ 2A-2U¡ 2X♯ 2Y¡ 3A-3M¡ chi¡ 3N-3Y¡ 4A-4E¡ 4F©
Errors in pagination: 39, 90, 91, 215, 463, 466, 494, 499, 593, and 779 printed as 93, 89, 90, 211, 466, 463, 499, 494, 559, and 789, respectively.
Some translations accompanied by original texts. Mandeville's travels (p. 24-79) in Latin only.
LCP AR 1970 p. 34.
Libray Company copy lacks map. Inscribed: Josseline Percy.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Philadelphia, Pa.: NewsBank, inc., 2014. Available via the World Wide Web. Access restricted to Readex Afro-Americana Imprints, 1535-1922: From the Library Company of Philadelphia subscribers.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.) 12625
Quinn, D.B. Hakluyt Handbook, II, p. 487, no. 81
Church, E.D. Discovery, 139A
Lib. Company. Afro-Americana, 4456
View MARC record | catkey: 19455831