Travels in Ethiopia, above the second cataract of the Nile [electronic resource] ; exhibiting the state of that country, and its various inhabitants, under the dominion of Mohammed Ali; and illustrating the antiquities, arts, and history of the ancient kingdom of Meroe. / By G.A. Hoskins, Esq. ; with a map, and ninety illustrations of the temples, pyramids, etc. of Meroe, Gibel-el-Birkel, Solib, etc. from drawings finished on the spot, by the author, and an artist whom he employed
- Hoskins, G. A. (George Alexander), -1864
- London : Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman, Paternoster-Row, 1835..
- Physical Description:
- xix, 1 unnumbered page, 367 pages, 1 unnumbered page, LIV [i.e. 65] leaves of plates (1 folded) : illustrations (some color), map, plans ; 29 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Arrowsmith, John, 1790-1873
Branston, Allen Robert, 1778-1827
Hamerton, Robert Jacob
Hullmandel, Charles Joseph, 1789-1850
Walton, W. L.
Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman
- "London: Printed by A. Spottiswoode, New-Street-Square."--t.p. verso.
Plates lithographed by [R.]J. Hamerton, C.[J.] Hullmandel, W.P. Sherlock, and W.[L.] Walton, after drawings by the author and by L. Bandoni; map by John Arrowsmith; wood-engravings by [A.]R. Branston.
Some plates are double and some are printed on both sides; some plates are hand-colored; the chromolithographs present are probably the earliest in an English printed book.--cf. Gascoigne.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Philadelphia, Pa.: NewsBank, inc., 2014. Available via the World Wide Web. Access restricted to Readex Afro-Americana Imprints, 1535-1922: From the Library Company of Philadelphia subscribers.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Gascoigne, B. "The earliest English chromolithographs," Journal of the Printing Historical Society (1982/83), p. -71
Lib. Company. Afro-Americana, 4971
View MARC record | catkey: 19455912