Indigenous races of the earth [electronic resource] ; or, New chapters of ethnological inquiry; including monographs on special departments of philology, iconography, cranioscopy, palaeontology, pathology, archaeology, comparative geography, and natural history: / contributed by Alfred Maury ... Francis Pulszky ... and J. Aitken Meigs, M.D. ... (With communications from Prof. Jos. Leidy, M.D., and Prof. L. Agassiz, LL.D.) Presenting fresh investigations, documents, and materials; by J C. Nott, M.D. Mobile, Alabama, and Geo. R. Gliddon, formerly U.S. Consul at Cairo, authors of "Types of mankind.".
- Philadelphia : J.B. Lippincott & Co. ; London : Trübner & Co., 1857..
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 25-656 pages, 1 unnumbered page, IX, 1 unnumbered leaf of plates (2 folded) : illustrations, (some color) ; 30 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Nott, Josiah Clark, 1804-1873, Gliddon, George R. (George Robins), 1809-1857, Maury, L.-F.-Alfred (Louis-Ferdinand-Alfred), 1817-1892, Pulszky, Ferencz Aurelius, 1814-1897, Meigs, James Aitken, 1829-1879, Birch, Samuel, 1813-1885, Nott, Josiah Clark, 1804-1873, Smith, Lloyd P. (Lloyd Pearsall), 1822-1886, P.S. Duval & Co., J.B. Lippincott & Co., and Trübner & Co.
- Prefatory remarks by G.R. Gliddon -- Letter from Lieut. A.W. Habersham -- Letter from Prof. L. Agassiz -- Letter from Prof. J. Leidy -- On the distribution and classification of tongues, by A. Maury -- Iconographic researches on human races and their art, by F. Pulszky -- The cranial characteristics of the races of men, by J.A. Meigs -- Acclimation, by J.C. Nott -- The monogenists and polygenists ... with an inquiry into the antiquity of man, viewed chronologically, historically and palaeontologically, by G.R. Gliddon -- Commentary upon the principal distinctions observable among the various groups of humanity, by G.R. Gliddon -- On the geographical distribution of the Simiae in relation to that of some inferior types of men, by G.R. Gliddon.
- Lithographs by P.S. Duval & Co.
At head of title: Subscriber's copy.
Library Company copy has tipped-in letter from Samuel Birch to J.C. Nott, about George Gliddon; inscribed: Copy of letter to Dr. Nott of Mobile, given to me with his consent by Mr. Lloyd P. Smith of Philad. Aug't 20/58.
Library Company copy folded plate entitled "Ethnographic tableau: Specimens of various races of mankind" has been removed and is housed in the Print Department.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Philadelphia, Pa.: NewsBank, inc., 2014. Available via the World Wide Web. Access restricted to Readex Afro-Americana Imprints, 1535-1922: From the Library Company of Philadelphia subscribers.
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Lib. Company. Afro-Americana, 7227
View MARC record | catkey: 19456253