Harlots, hussies & poor unfortunate women [electronic resource] : crime, transportation & the servitude of female convicts, 1718-1783 / Edith M. Ziegler
- Ziegler, Edith Miriam, 1944-
- Additional Titles:
- Harlots, hussies, and poor unfortunate women
- Tuscaloosa : University of Alabama Press, 
- Physical Description:
- 228 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Atlantic crossings
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- List of illustrations -- Acknowledgments -- Introduction -- Social change, crime, and the law -- Punishment, pleas, and the prospect of exile -- Bound for Maryland -- Arrival in the New World -- Servants and masters -- Escape -- Going home and staying on -- Mary Nobody in the republic of virtue -- Appendix 1: Statistical information on convict women -- Appendix 2: List of convict women's occupations -- Appendix 3: Privy council resolution, 1615 -- Appendix 4: Transportation act of 1718 -- Appendix 5: Crimes punished by transportation at the old bailey 1718-1776 -- Appendix 6: Colonial legislation regarding convicts -- Notes -- Bibliography -- Index.
- 9780817318260 (trade cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 207-220) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19476014