Heresy and the politics of community [electronic resource] : the Jews of the Fatimid caliphate / Marina Rustow
- Rustow, Marina
- Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- xxxv, 435 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
- Conjunctions of religion and power in the medieval past
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- The tripartite community -- Jewish book culture in the tenth century -- The limits of communal autonomy -- Qaraites and the politics of powerlessness -- "Nothing but kindness, benefit, and loyalty" : Qaraites and the ge'onim of Baghdad -- "Under the authority of God and all Israel" : Qaraites and the ge'onim of Jerusalem -- "Glory of the two parties" : petitions to Qaraite courtiers -- The affair of the ban of excommunication in 1029 -- Rabbanite-Qaraite marriages -- In the courts : legal reciprocity -- Avignon in Ramla : the schism of 1038-42 -- The tripartite community and the First Crusade -- Epilogue : toward a history of Jewish heresy.
- 9780801445828 (cloth : alk. paper)
0801445825 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 395-415) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19477153