Heretics and colonizers [electronic resource] : forging Russia's empire in the south Caucasus / Nicholas B. Breyfogle
- Breyfogle, Nicholas B., 1968-
- Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- xvii, 347 p. : ill., maps ; 25 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Toleration through isolation : the edict of 1830 and the origins of Russian colonization in Transcaucasia -- To a land of promise : sectarians and the resettlement experience -- "In the bosom of an alien climate" : ecology, economy and colonization -- Heretics into colonizers : changing roles and transforming identities on the imperial periphery -- Frontier encounters : conflict and coexistence between colonists and south Caucasians -- From colonial settlers to pacifist insurgents : the origins of the Dukhobor movement, 1887-1895 -- Peasant pacifism and imperial insecurities : the burning of weapons, 1895-1899 -- The end of an era and its meanings.
- 0801442427 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 319-338) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19477159