Historical dictionary of new religious movements [electronic resource] / George D. Chryssides
- Chryssides, George D., 1945-
- Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2012.
- 2nd ed.
- Physical Description:
- xxx, 415 p. ; 24 cm.
- Historical dictionaries of religions, philosophies, and movements
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- "New religious movements -- some of which are known as cults -- are defined as organizations that have arisen within the last 200 years. Most treatments of these movements have typically resorted to sensationalism rather than objectivity, and new religious movements tend to receive negative media publicity. Despite unfavorable portrayal in popular culture, however, new religious movements are a global phenomenon, and much remains to be studied about them."--P.  of cover.
- 9780810861947 (alk. paper)
0810861941 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 391-403) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19477831