Imagined identities [electronic resource] : identity formation in the age of globalization / edited by Gönül Pultar ; foreword by Nur Yalman
- Syracuse : Syracuse University Press, 2014.
- First Edition.
- Physical Description:
- xix, 434 pages ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Pultar, Gönül, 1943-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- List of figures and tables -- Foreword / by Nur Yalman -- Preface by / Gönül Pultar -- Introduction: from empire to the "irresistible shift" / Gönül Pultar -- Fiction and transnational identity -- The transnational Indian novel in English : cultural parasites and postcolonial praxis / Pramod K. Nayar -- Capturing a nation : the elusiveness of cultural identity in Khaled Hosseini's The kite runner / Tanja Stampfl -- Lost in transition, or a life in between : the move from empire to nation in Pascali's island / Andrea Rosso Efthymiou -- Nonfiction as identity forger -- Creating ethnic memory : Takuhi Tovmasyan's "Merry meals" / Gönül Pultar -- Foreign news : a flagship of the nation in an age of globalization / Anna Roosvall -- "Malaysia : truly Asia" : double consciousness in Malaysia's tourism advertising, or the double jeopardy of being Malaysian / Dawn Morais -- Performing identity -- "Was guckst du?"/"whaddaya lookin' at?" : de/constructing Germanness in prime-time ethnic Turkish-German humor / Dorothea Fischer-Hornung -- Blackface minstrelsy and ethnic identity as globalized market commodities / Cathy Covell Waegner -- Albert Isaac Bezzerides : translating ethnicity from fiction to film / Yiorgos Kalogeras -- National identities at leisure : the case of theme parks / Simona Sangiorgi -- Identity formation in the post-Soviet space -- Patterns of identity formation in the post-Soviet space : Odessa as a case study / Abel Polese -- The role of the Turkic component in current Kazakhstani identity formation / Timur Kozyrev -- Globalization as fuel, ethnicity as engine : how markets reactivate local culture / Emil Nasritdinov and Kevin O'Connor -- The new eastern question : nationhood betwxxiveen faith and modernity -- "The nation and its fragments" : examining the Indian and the Egyptian nationalist models / Samaa Gamie -- Building a diaspora, adopting a new nationality : Egyptian copts in the United States / Fouad N. Ibrahim and Barbara Ibrahim -- The politics of identity in Lebanon : the case of Hizballah / Samer Abboud -- Positions -- American, United Statian, usamerican, or gringo? / Luís Cláudio Villafañe G. Santos -- Nation-state, national identity, and national culture in the era of globalization / Grigol Ubiria -- Notes -- Works cited -- Contributors -- Index.
- 9780815633426 (pbk.) and 9780815652595 (ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 315-426) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19482102