Immigrant ambassadors [electronic resource] : citizenship and belonging in the Tibetan diaspora / Julia Meredith Hess
- Hess, Julia Meredith
- Stanford, Calif. : Stanford University Press, c2009.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 266 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Locating the Tibetan diaspora in a world of nation-states -- Tibet in diaspora : locating the homeland from the margins of exile -- India, New Mexico, and the specter of Tibet : on the trail of the Tibetan diaspora -- "Tibetanness" where there is no Tibet : culture in a world of nation-states -- Refugees to citizens, Tibetans, and the State -- Expanding the diaspora, transforming Tibetanness -- The Tibetan-U.S. Resettlement Project : the lottery, the "lucky 1,000" and immigrant ambassadors -- Tibetans in India : deterritorialized culture, occidental longing, and global imaginaries -- Tibetans in the United States -- A new home in diaspora : the first years of the TUSRP, 1992-1996 -- "Culture is your base camp" : Tibetans in New Mexico, youth, and cultural identity -- Statelessness and the state : the meanings of citizenship -- Conclusion : Tibetans in the new world.
- 9780804760171 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 243-259) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19482753