Democracy without associations : transformation of the party system and social cleavages in India / Pradeep K. Chhibber
- Chhibber, Pradeep K., 1956-
- Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xiv, 287 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- State structures, associational life, and the social basis of party systems -- Central, state, and local governments in India -- Electoral laws, associations, and the organization of the Catchall Congress Party -- Electoral competition and the growth of central intervention in the states -- Building coalitions in the Indian States -- From a Catchall to a cleavage-based party system in an Indian State : Uttar Pradesh -- State policy, party politics, and the rise of the BJP -- The centrality of parties to Indian politics : the politics of economic reform and collective violence -- Forming links between social cleavages and party systems : Algeria and Spain -- Conclusion : rethinking party systems and social cleavages.
- 0472109626 (cloth : acid-free paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 1948572