An island called home [electronic resource] : returning to Jewish Cuba / Ruth Behar ; photographs by Humberto Mayol
- Behar, Ruth, 1956-
- New Brunswick, N.J. : Rutgers University Press, c2007.
- Physical Description:
- xi, 297 p. : ill., map ; 26 cm.
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Looking for Henry -- A Kaddish for the Jews who rest in Jewish cemeteries in Cuba and for Raquel's mother who does not -- A tour of Havana's synagogues -- The kosher butcher shop -- The shirt that holds sadness -- Los Prinstein -- In the realm of lost things -- How to pack your suitcase -- Enrique Bender's blue-green eyes remind me of my grandfather -- The dancing Turk -- Monday morning in Luyanó -- Danayda Levy's school report -- May Day with a Jewish communist -- The whispering writer -- The three things José Martí said all real men had to do -- Einstein in Havana -- Salomón the schnorrer -- Mr. Fisher's twice-yearly gifts -- Becoming Ruth Berezniak -- After everyone has left -- The ketubah that became a passport -- When I see you again there will be no pain or forgetting -- Traces -- Simboulita's parakeet -- Seven Jewish weddings in Camagüey -- Che waits for a new frame -- Pearls left in Cienfuegos -- The Moses of Santa Clara -- A conversation next to El Mamey -- Villa Elisa -- The pact with Abraham -- Salvador's three wives -- A beautiful pineapple -- The last Jew of Palma Soriano -- The Mizrahi clan in Guantánamo -- Departures -- My room on bitterness street.
- 9780813541891 (hardcover : alk. paper)
0813541891 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 279-287).
View MARC record | catkey: 19488808