Left and right [electronic resource] : the great dichotomy revisited / edited by Joa̋o Cardoso Rosas and Ana Rita Ferreira
- Newcastle upon Tyne, UK : Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2013.
- Physical Description:
- vii, 416 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Rosas, João Cardoso and Ferreira, Ana Rita
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Left and right: critical junctures / João Cardoso Rosas and Ana Rita Ferreira -- Introduction -- Norberto Bobbio's Right and left between classic concepts and contemporary crises / M.F.N. Giglioli -- A multi-axial analysis of the left/right opposition in society and politics / Peter Caws -- Giving you right and left wings / Cristina Montalvão Sarmento, Patrícia Oliveira and Joana Ferreiara -- Moral relativism: right or left? / Simon Skempton -- Introduction -- The ideological origins of neo-liberalism: left, right or centre? / Ben Jackson -- What's left and what's right in nationalism? / Ángel Rivero -- Which ideologies are canonical and which are black and white? A materialist and non essentialist approach to ideologies / António Rosas and João Relvão Caetano -- Left and right in the nineteenth century ideological debate: the Case of Portugal (1820-1910) / Pedro Miguel Martins -- Electoral reform and ideological contingency: has compulsory voting moved from right to left / Anthoula Malkopoulou -- Introduction -- The left and the global financial crisis: the labour party in search of a new economic narrative / Eunice Goes -- The influence of the tea party on the republican party and U.S. politics / Donald Davidson -- Is Die Linke compatible with pluralist democracy in Germany? / Dirk Rochtus and Gerd Strohmeier -- Party for animals and nature (PAN) and utilitarianism: a left party, for sure! / Patrícia Fernandes -- Introduction -- Left-right vs. traditional and new cleavages: testing durability of an old political category / Cal Le Gall and Raul Magni Berton -- Explaining left-right party congruence across European political parties: a test of Przeworski-Sprague's party competition theory / Ana Maria Belchior -- Left and right in new democracies / Willy Jou -- Introduction -- Debating left and right in contemporary China / Kalpana Misra -- The silent legislative process: a study on the ideological classification of the Brazilian political parties based on their bills / Marcia Ribeiro Dias -- The left's attraction amidst Bosnia and herzegovina's nationalist politics / Joan Davison -- Introduction -- Left, right and equality for its own sake: Raymond Aron and Isaiah Berlin / José Colen -- Milton Friedman, Amartya Sen, and left and right in American politics / Joshua Preiss -- Veering left and right on the road to serfdom: why both left and right create illiberal outcomes / Irena Schneider -- Reassessing the left-right dichotomy: Chantal Mouffe and the project of a radical democracy / Étienne Brown -- Democracy is at stake / Hanako Koyama.
- 9781443851558 and 1443851558
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 19495400