Library management tips that work [electronic resource] / Carol Smallwood, editor
- Chicago : American Library Association, c2011.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 190 p. : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Smallwood, Carol, 1939-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Beating the clock : adaptive management in a fluid environment / Geoffrey P. Timms -- Creating manuals for job duties / Holly Flynn -- How to manage serving students of generational poverty / Kris Baughman and Rebecca Marcum Parker -- How to protect your library from employment discrimination claims / Michael A. Germano -- Managing emergencies : what to do when basic or big disasters strike / Sian Brannon and Kimberly Wells -- Creating a staff accountability system / Terry Ann Lawler -- Planning ahead : time management in defining goals / Geoffrey P. Timms -- Transforming an off-campus library from empty space to award winner in one year / Seamus Scanlon -- When you're not (exactly) the boss : how to manage effectively in a 'coordinator' role / Kim Becnel -- Communication and staff awareness in the branch library / Jason Kuhl -- ASSURE-ing your collection / Roxanne Myers Spencer and Barbara Fiehn -- Billy Club : a model for dealing with unreturned library materials / Suzann Holland -- Collaboration for library collection acquisitions / Lorette S. J. Weldon -- Community partnerships : the key to providing programs in a recession / Ashanti White -- CVL leads : mentorship and leadership / Robin Shader -- How to manage a student-centric library service for nontraditional users / Seamus Scanlon -- Managing overnight / Ken Johnson and Susan Jennings -- Managing more than one school library with one FTE librarian / Kris Baughman and Rebecca Marcum Parker -- Management tips for merging multiple service points / Colleen S. Harris -- SuperStarz : an experience in grant project management / Vera Gubnitskaia -- Utilizing retired individuals as volunteers / Ashanti White -- Weeding as affective response, or "I just can't throw this out!" / Barbara Fiehn and Roxanne Myers Spencer -- Facebook for student assistants / Susan Jennings and Ken Johnson -- Improving communication with blogs / Alice B. Ruleman -- Improving productivity with Google apps / Suzann Holland -- Partnering with information technology at the reference desk : a model for success / Jeffrey A. Franks -- Putting missing pieces from the collection together with SharePoint / Lorette S. J. Weldon -- Real-life management using virtual tools / Vera Gubnitskaia -- Session control software for community users in an academic library / Jeffrey A. Franks -- To friend or not to friend : the Facebook question / Kim Becnel -- Why a wiki? How wikis help get work done / Alice B. Ruleman -- Millennials, Gen-X, Gen-Y, and boomers, oh my! Managing multiple generations in the library / Colleen S. Harris -- Hiring and training graduate assistants for the academic library / Erin O'Toole -- Managing for emergencies : what to do before, during, and after disaster strikes / Sian Brannon and Kimberly Wells -- Managing librarians and staff with young children / Holly Flynn -- Mentoring graduate assistants in the academic library / Erin O'Toole -- New employee orientation / Bradley Tolppanen and Janice Derr -- Discrimination in employment : an overview for library managers / Michael A. Germano -- Obtaining compliance from underperforming employees : talking it through / Terry Ann Lawler -- Planning for change : ensuring staff commitment / Jason Kuhl -- Shadow and learn : knowing your staff / Robin Shader -- Staff shortages / Bradely Tolppanen and Janice Derr -- No surprises : keeping your board in the loop / Lynn Hawkins -- Board meetings that work / James B. Casey -- Library partners : cooperating with other nonprofits / John Helling -- Portraits in a small town : balancing access and privacy with a local history photography collection / John Helling -- Using numbers to make your case / James B. Casey -- Staying in the game : public relations on a shoestring / Lynn Hawkins.
- 9780838911211 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 19496323